Did you know distracted driving crashes killed 3,142 people in the United States which equates to an average of 9 deaths per day. In May 2020 the National Safety Council reported the accident numbers marked the third-straight month that U.S. motorist were at higher risk of dying from a crash. That means during a pandemic when the roads had less traffic and a reduced amount of vehicles on the road drivers were still at risk!
As the world is experiencing a decrease in pandemic restrictions and an increase in vaccinations, traffic will begin to pick up this month of April. FeaturesFirst Auto wants to remind our community of SMART drivers about the importance of focusing on the road ahead and not on their SMARTphones!
Drivers who use their cellphones behind the wheel are putting themself, passengers and other drivers around them in danger. In 2019, the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety conducted a nationwide survey which found:
■ Most drivers (96 percent) believe typing or reading on a hand-held cellphone while driving is extremely dangerous.
■ Surprisingly, drivers do it anyway. Thirty-nine percent admitted to reading and 29% admit to typing on a smartphone at least once while behind the wheel within the past month.
Did you know checking your phone at the stoplight can be just as risky too. Here are some tips on how you can improve your safety while driving during this Distracted Driving Awareness Month:
1. Put it away. Place your mobile device out of sight to prevent temptation.
2. Know where you’re going. If using a navigation system, program the destination before driving.
3. Pull over. If you must call or text while on the road, pull off the road safely and stop first.
4. Ask passengers for help. If riding with someone, seek their help to navigate, make a call or send a message.
5. Be a good passenger. Speak out if the driver of your vehicle is distracted.
6. Don’t be a distraction. Avoid calling or texting others when you know they are driving.
7. Activate Do Not Disturb. Setting up this feature on iPhone or Android device will prevent calls from coming in while you’re driving.
Have you heard how FeaturesFirst Auto is leading the way on informed car buying and how that will be life changing for you? Read all about it!